Thursday, October 05, 2006

Workin' Out

So I went ahead and joined that gym with the childcare that I mentioned last week. I thought for just a few days a week Sam and I should have a little time away from each other, and the idea of getting to listen to some music while walking or do a yoga class was just way too tempting. I was only slightly worried about how he might respond to being left with strangers. I mentioned before that we've never left him with anyone other than family, but he's always been fine when I've gone away. I have no idea why. Mommy leaves less than an hour after Grammy and Grampy arrive - fine. Daddy tries to put him to bed with no Mommy - definitely not fine.

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect upon leaving him the first time, especially since it would be in a new place, and I was nervous. But when I walked him into the room he struggled to get free so that he could run over to the car toys (big shocker). I had to walk up to him and touch him to get his attention to let him know I was leaving for a bit, in case he turned around and all of a sudden I was gone. Yeah right, like he cared. There were cars, different cars, cars that were exponentially better than any cars that I could ever buy for him ever. He didn't care that I left and hardly cared when I returned. I checked in periodically to look through the window and make sure he was ok. Once he was pushing a car back and forth with another girl about his age. Once he was playing peek-a-boo with another kid under the slide. Once all the kids were doing something in the corner and then they all ran, herd-like through the rest of the room. I made sure he couldn't see me through the window in case it might upset him, but frankly I don't think it would have mattered. He was having a good time...without me.

I was about to start talking there about how torn I am and how deep down I wish he missed me and couldn't get on without me, but that's not really true. I was so proud of him. He's a little independent boy who can play with other kids and run in the herd. And I'm really happy that he can have fun with new people in new places. I'd like to take credit for his adaptability but I realize it's really not mine to take.

When I came to get him he wanted to show me all the great things in the room (ie. cars, a toy airplane, the play kitchen, the slide...and cars). One of the women said he'd been dancing for them a bit and that he'd been great, even laughed at her some. He's gone twice now and both times had the same response. He loves it, and then I go through the rest of the day feeling like I havn't gotten to see him at all because I walked on a tread mill for 30 minutes. Could he talk he'd probably be telling me to go to the gym, where it is more fun and far more exciting.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome that the situation is working out (literally). I'm almost tempted to join a gym.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am so happy for you (and just a tad bit jealous) that Sam likes the daycare, and you get to do something just for you. Good job mom, for teaching Sam to be so self-assured and happy.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't recall you ever crying when I left you places. However, you did cry sometimes when I came to pick you up. Made me feel like you preferred daycare to being home with me. :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

That is just great that he had fun! I understand what you you mean about feeling like you haven't seen him all day because you were busy for 30 mintues. I feel the same way when I go to class for an hour.

5:03 PM  
Blogger smart mama said...

I wish i could bring myself to leave smart baby- I have these fears of germs leaping off the communal toys and onto him and the house being slayed with illness for weeks- then i decide working out maybe isn't worth it

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! This could actually lead to nights out with your husband...alone! Jack rarely cares if i leave too. He shoos me away, like "Yahyahyah, get outta here already!"

9:49 PM  
Blogger scraphappymama said...

It's a sad day when we realize that our kids are okay without us for an hour or two. I left Brooklyn with my parents when she was 18 mo for a few days. I thought I was going to die. I'd call her on the phone everyday (okay, several times a day). She had no tears, nothing. She was having a great time being spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa. In the end, it's good to know they can make it on their own - they're independent (at least sometimes).

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So proud of both of you! I'm glad it's gone well. I think I'll have to follow suit... someday :)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

I am so happy that this working out thing is working for you guys. It gives me hope about our grim situation. If I just had more time...

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either way you're a little screwed. You want them to miss you...you don't want them to miss you.

Who knew it was this difficult?

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Sam. Guess sometimes, it's more traumatic for the parents than the kids. :)

12:47 PM  
Blogger kate said...

o, hooray! i'm glad it was a success. i think i have to remind myself that can be / are capable of so much more than we think.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes, my 3-year old won’t let me go. Other times, he’ll tell me: “Daddy, you can go now. So, bye.”


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

2:22 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

Sounds cool!! I wish we had the gym and the money to be able to do that!

I'm glad he adjusted well. It's good for the both of you.

2:27 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

So happy for your newfound freedom! And yay for Sam!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sugarmama said...

I am so jealous that you can leave your kiddo in gym childcare. SO jealous. Each and every time that I've tried to drop off my own 18-month old girl, she's lasted 5 minutes before screaming bloody murder. I haven't once managed to get a workout in!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home