Wednesday, October 11, 2006

We have a winner!

At long last...long, long last...my child is officially verbal. For the past few weeks Sam has been imitating our speech more and especially our intonation. Every so often we'd hear a vowel or consonant that was very similar to what we'd just said. As usual though it was never certain when he would make these sounds that he actually meant them as words. He would yell, "Mamama!" when pissed off at me, like when we'd stop nursing before he was ready (well, excuse me but he was going off and on over and over again and was looking away - God forbid I cover up the nummy!), but that seemed like more of a random expletive, if you will, as opposed to a word with an intended meaning such as, "Mommy, please do not cover your breast yet for I am not quite finished feeding." But this morning that all changed.

As we prepared to go grocery shopping I told him we needed to put our shoes on so we could go out. He went and got my sneakers and brought them to me. I said, "Thank you so much for bringing me my shoes." And he said, "sho." "Did you say shoe?" "Shess." "Shoe!" "Shs." And then we called Hubby on the phone because his word was deteriorating quickly. "Say shoes to Daddy." "Shiss." Works for me.

And so it's official - a first word. I was sure it would be car, but shoes are cool too. I'll take it.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for first words! Shiss is totally a word.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Valarie said...

wahoo, Sam! I'm sure you'll be picking up on more new words every day.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

Way to go Sam! Before you know it he'll be backtalking!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opening the flood gates! We are dealing with the word "Tractor". It is really close to the potty mouth F-bomb. Unfortunate now that we are living near farms and farm equipment.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

So exciting! Don't you wish there could be a video camera running at all times?
Sam's 'shiss' reminds me of how my nephew used to call his shoes 'shoeson' (like Shoo-Sawn) because my sister always told him to get his shoes on. I laughed every time.
Too cute when they learn to talk!

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiss. That's a great word.

My 1-year old's first word came when I was smelling him for poop.

"Did you make poop?" I asked him. I knew he pooped. I could smell it.

My 1-year old looked at me, unbelieving. Then he said his first word: "Duh!?"

Okay. Duh is like Da, as in Dad, right?

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Sam! From the looks of that photo he's pretty enthralled with them!

6:45 PM  
Blogger smart mama said...

yay- my 17 mo old has 4 word vocab- mama, dada, hot, and ham??

8:07 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Very, very exciting. I know how long you've been waiting for this. Can't wait to hear about all the things that will next be coming out of his mouth!

11:49 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Congrats!! That's awewsome!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Sam! So exciting! I think "Sho" is a very fine first word indeed!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Yay Sam! You are a brilliant young man!

Incidentally Beth - "shoes" was my first word and I didn't say that until I was 17 months old (or at least according to my mom). Don't you just love it though? I mean, your kid is the smartest one on earth when they make such milestones as this!! I love it!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Hey, I think "Shess" is "Yes", so he actually said TWO words! Very, very cool! I love the first word~~~~:-) Here, they were: light, ball, love, and no--in order from oldest to youngest. Very prophetic, actually! Chrissy

ps Can't wait to read your book! Reading young adult fiction is one of my literary hobbies.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Beth! Yay! Yay!

Virtual hurrahs!

I think he was saying, "Sure"..."sure mom, no problem."

Sam is cool like that.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

That is an awesome first word! Way to go, Sam! Such a darling photo!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home