Thursday, September 14, 2006

Updates

It's time to follow up on some recent topics. After all, I don't want to leave anyone hangin'.

Sam's visit to his new pediatrician was awesome. I told her I was concerned about his lack of verbiage. She asked some questions about what he was doing and about his ability to understand what I was saying and then she was not concerned at all. She's thinking he'll probably start talking in the next few months. I liked her a lot and the office is nicer than the place we went to in Chicago. Good news all around there.

The bad news, at least for all of you commenters on my last post - you're too late. I had actually already cut Sam's hair when I put that picture up. It was meant to prepare you for my son's new look and prove he really needed his hair cut. I guess it didn't do the job. But we just trimmed his bangs out of his eyes and neatened up the back. He still has his curls so there is no need to worry. I'll post some new pictures soon so you can all rest easy. And know that it really had to be done. The back of his head always looked like this (see left) because he would rub his head around while he slept. They weren't curls back there, just little blonde dreads. And besides, this wasn't his first hair cut so I didn't need to get all emotional over it anyway.

Now let's back it up a bit more. Remember when I first moved here and I was really lonely because I couldn't figure out where all the other moms were? You may recall a post comparing myself to The Last Unicorn trying to figure out where all others had gone. Well, I found them this morning. I found the ocean where the Red Bull forced them all; they're at the freakin' Target. Yep. Went there this morning to get Hubby some socks and there they were, the whole herd. And they weren't even shopping alone, they were hanging out together...at the Target. Am I missing something here? No wonder I've had days and days worth of trips to abandoned playgrounds where Sam and I collect acorns by ourselves. Who needs a playground when you can hang out at...Target?

All right, here's another. Remember this horrible woman who was making babies cry for her "art"? Well I found something worse: baby ear piercing. Why, oh why is this ok? I cannot fathom it. I cannot hold back my glares of disgust at the parents of the poor baby girls with earrings in their little lobes. You put your child through pain and possibly infection for your own vanity? It's grosser than that which is grosser than gross. Blah. It is my all time worst pet peeve.

Lastly, for those of you on the edge of your seats hoping 80's Sunday will return this Fall - sorry, more bad news. With Hubby gone ALL THE TIME throughout the week now that he is back to work my blogging over the weekends has been pretty much nil and will probably stay that way. Sorry. Just can't keep up. But you can come by tomorrow as I will be hosting KEP's awesome Friday Flicks game. She, like me, hosted a game and needed a break. She just found a much more creative way to deal with it in organizing other bloggers to host it at their site each week. Tomorrow is me so come on by.

And after that I may be on a little haiatus. My parents are coming in to see their grandson walk and Hubby and I have big plans to totally bail on them and our son so we can go see movies and eat out as much as humanly possible.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Can't wait to see the haircut! (I first typed 'haircute', must be a sign.)

Second, thanks for the Target tip, I am lonely too, and happen to love Target. Perfect!

And finally, I saw a baby with her ears pierced a couple of months ago- only the IDIOT parents put hoop earrings in. Is that not ridiculous?

1:22 PM  
Blogger kate said...

dude.
i have seen the target mommmies around here and i really don't get it. really don't. but it totally happens.

as for the baby earring thing. agreed. what are these moms thinking. it's so far beyond me that i can't even make a guess.

have a great time eating out and watching movies!!!!!!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

I was hoping for a sleep update. How's that going?

Ok, call me an ogre but if I had a girl, it would seriously cross my mind to have her ears pierced as a baby. I can understand how it would bother other people, though. Just wanted to let you know, though, that "normal" moms might actually do that. But I also had my boys circumcised...not sure if that's on the same level. Not to debate it, though.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

I love his curls! I can't wait to see pics!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Glad to hear your ped appointment went well and she agrees there is nothing to worry about.

I'm sure Sam's haircut looks terrific!

We don't have Target here so it must be Wal Mart. Or the Mall.

Sadly, waaaay back at my first job as a hairstylist we also had to do ear piercing. And I had to pierce a few babies ears. I didn't like it but it didn't upset me as much as I would have thought (back then). It must have been my age. The other day I was walking through the mall and one of those jewlery places was piercing a babies ears. I felt sick. I had to turn away. It is such unnecessary pain. Peter and I have already decided that we won't let A get her ears pierced until she's 10. If she even wants them pierced that is.

Don't worry about the game. It shouldn't be stressful for you.

Hope you have lots of fun bailing, watching flicks and eating out. Hurray!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

I'm so happy that the doctors trip went well! That must have been such a huge relief!

I can't wait to see the pictures of Sam's hair cut, I'm sure he's even more adorable with a nice trim!

I wish we had a target up here in Canada. Our hot spot, as Mama D said is the mall and Wal Mart. I always see moms there.

I have a huge disgust for piercing babies ears too. So much so that if I think about it more my comment will turn into a rant!

4:38 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I don't know if I'd call it disgust, but I don't agree with baby ear piercing.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I must have that hair. The curls are killing me.

I thought that all new mothers were given their super-secret decoder ring that showed them the way to the nearest Target before they left the hospital with their baby. Why sit at the playground when you can browse the aisles of the yuppy mecca that is Tar-jay?

9:52 PM  
Blogger AmyJane said...

I stumbled onto your blog tonight--and due to all the helpful links, read a lot of your blog before realizing how late it was getting! First off, your little boy is ADORABLE. Second, your writing is fun to read but also very insightful and thoughtful. My little guy is almost eleven months old and I just love hearing that I am not alone in all the new mommy angst. It's a totally different world and it does seem so hard to become part of it. To top it all off, we moved recently and my baby and I are once again an island unto ourselves. And my husband wonders why I'm going slowly insane... Anyway, here's to finding like-minded mommies and playgroups and sanity!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaawwww. I didn't want to remove your game link from my sidebar, but now I guess I have to. It was fun while it lasted.

I'm glad you just gave Sam a little trim.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

i am married to a mexican man, and his mother keeps asking me when we are going to pierce our daughter's ears (she is 4 months old)

i told her, maybe when she's 7 or 8. she said, "months?" and i said, "no, years!!" it is definitely a hispanic thing. not for my baby, though.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

So glad to hear Sam's doing well, no concerns with language development.

Ear piercing, I don't like it. Out here, it's cultural. Hispanic families do it all the time. My best friend and her three younger sisters all had their ears pierced as babies.

What really bothers me...necklaces and bracelets on babies. Hello, choking/strangling hazard. I don't care if a parent says they're watching every minute, that's just not possible.

Enjoy your hubby/movie/eating/away from baby time.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Valarie said...

I'm glad you like the new pediatrician. I'm sure Sam is as cute as ever and I am jealous of visiting grandparents, but impending dated even more so.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I agree with you on the ear piercing baby lobes! I just don't understand it. Hubby and I agree that if we have a girl, we will wait for her to ask for her ears to be pierced!

Oh, and I have been so behind in blogland, and am happy to hear you found a good ped & Target moms group!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catching up on my blog-reading this morning while baby sleeps...sigh...

I'm a regular at our SuperTarget. Yep, that's where the suburban mommies hang out, especially if there is a Starbucks inside.

I live in a place (CO) with a lot of Mexican culture and ALL the Latina baby girls have their ears pierced. A Latina friend explained it stems from a very old superstition that witches do not have earlobes---the best way to demonstrate your baby girl isn't a witch is to pierce her ears. Nobody really believes this anymore, of course, but the cultural roots run deep.

I believe girls should get their ears pierced when it is their decision and they are old enough to care for their ears and earrings. Age eight and above seems right to me. Our oldest daughter got her ears pierced at 8.5, but got a terrible infection from supposedly good earrings and now the holes are closed. So we are in no hurry to repeat the process.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home