Monday, August 07, 2006

"Do I want to try?"

I love it when things fall into place. Today was hard in that hard on yourself as a mother sort of way. But you never know when or where you'll find an encouraging word.

One of my new favorite authors is Barbara Kingsolver (I know, I'm way late and totally missed the boat on this one). I'm currently reading my second novel of hers, "The Bean Trees", and came across this passage. It's funny and inspiring to find fictional characters dealing with issues I feel I've been addressing for quite some time now, ever since becoming a mom.

Just so you know I'm editing this to get down to the part that really spoke to me. Hope I'm not breaking any sort of copyright laws here.


"When you told me about babies getting dehydrated it scared the living daylights out of me. I realized I had no business just assuming I could take the responsibility for a child's life."

"There's not a decent mother in the world that hasn't realized that."

"So how does a person make a decision that important?"

"If you don't mind me saying so I think you're asking the wrong question. You're asking yourself, Can I give this child the best possible upbringing and keep her out of harm's way her whole life long? The answer is no, you can't."

"So what's the right thing to ask?"

"Do I want to try?"


We're none of us perfect - we can only do our best and try not to berate ourselves for our shortcomings. Our best will be good enough; it has to be. And I already know I want to try, there's not been a question about that.

Now I just hope I can really hear this.

11 Comments:

Blogger LaughterThoughts said...

I saw your comment at another blog, saw your profile picture, and immediately had to stop by and send you a comment!:-) I have that Wonder Woman underoos outfit!... Well, I did like 20 years ago. I still have it, though, and it's now in my girls' dress-up box.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

I really liked those passages. I think I may have to check her out!

I want to try too.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I have never heard of this author either- maybe I am way missing it, too?

But from the sounds of it, she sounds like someone I should make time to read.

I so want to try, and think I am doing a good job at trying it so far.

10:29 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Definitely want to try...

I keep on trying, and hoping that I'll improve!

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara Kingslover is such a beautiful writer. My mantra with jack has become, "Well, I'm doing the best I can...". Sometimes I say it in a negative way, other times in a positive way, but it's always true.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Is it terrible that some parts of my childhood were so bad, and bad totally because of what a crap job my parents were doing, that I know my baby is going to have a great life? If I turned out okay with the upbringing I have had... I'm pretty sure that Baby A is going to grow up to be an amazing girl.

What's more, I KNOW that Sam will grow up to be an AMAZING man! And that will be because of you and your hubby, because you'll do your best.

12:48 AM  
Blogger scraphappymama said...

Love. love. love the quote. Such a good reminder for us all. Also, left a response on signing for you. Thanks for stopping by today

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too true. I think as a mom I have never doubted or been so encouraged more in my life. Day by day. I just have to take it Day by Day.

Love your bloggy!

1:53 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Barbara Kingsolver is good isn't she?
I am happy you found that passage at this time, it seems that maybe it was just what you were looking for.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Wow, that makes you think, doesn't it.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Alli said...

Wow...that was wonderful! Thanks for sharing that with us since it had an impact on you.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home