Tuesday, June 06, 2006

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Today was a good day. That’s right, I’m not here to complain today (except for about Blogger - What is up?!), and that feels pretty great. Sam had his first hair cut and no one cried, including Mommy. Back in April I wrote about my aversion to having this done in Cherub Do, one of my first posts. I just went back and read it and realized I had predicted I would cry. I also believed I would have to give in before his first birthday. Clearly I surpassed even my own expectations. But with his hair perpetually in his eyes this last week and that constantly sweaty head, I accepted that I needed to do this for the sake of his comfort, which is very different than having it done as a result of everyone talking about what a beautiful daughter I have. That never really bothered me; I think he’s beautiful too. And the good news is: he still is.

The woman cutting his hair did exactly what I asked, so we still have his little curls. And now they are less tangley so they appear to be even curlier. I don’t think we’ll be avoiding any of the pretty little girl comments from strangers anytime soon, but I am pleased to have not left there sobbing with Sam and his new crew cut. Best of all, he got to sit in a big red car and play with the steering wheel while watching a Baby Einstein video (that’s why he appears so mesmerized in some of the pics). Here are some highlights from the excursion.

This is the before picture, just as we were heading out.


First snip!


Not so sure about this...


Getting shorter...and eating treats.


Hey, where's my hair?!



You can read on to the next post to find out about the rest of our afternoon. I had to split the posts up since I guess Blogger only lets you use 5 pictures for each post. I couldn’t choose between these that easily so I'm double posting today.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle said...

Oh the pain of the first haircut. We're a long way from that point (because Cam thinks bald is beautiful). It made me sad to look at those gorgeous locks getting a trim!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Love that cut! That kids salon seems AWESOME!! The place where I work is a distinctly more adult environment. Sometimes I think it would be fun to work at a place like that!

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sam is adorable! Hey I'm from Philly too, from your photos it looks like I took my son to the same place to have his 1st hair cut....Cookie Cutters? (BTW surfed over to your blog from owl haven).

12:24 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

The salon looks really cool! I wish there were one near where I lived!

Sam is just too cute!

12:26 PM  
Blogger "Grandi" said...

He's adorable!! And that place 1 minute away - my gosh! What a beautiful retreat!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger kate said...

he is so flipping cute. man. what a face on that kid!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! What a great barbershop, and I love the photos in the last post. The walkway along the water is so pretty.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Those are awesome hair cut pictures! What a cutie pie! Such a big boy for being so good.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home