Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Night Ritual

I’ve been meaning to write about this for a while because it is something I want to make sure I always remember. Every night is the same here in our house. I have alluded to some of Sam’s sleep problems before, but this is not an instance where I am going to complain. I love how we get Sam ready for bed every night. And ever since he was old enough to really benefit from a going to bed ritual, this has been it.

After Hubby and I eat dinner we change Sam’s diaper. I then give him a leg massage with some lavender scented lotion, although, lately he has been much more interested in dropping the lotion bottle, one of his favorite toys, back behind the bed and leaning over the side to see if it is still there and if he can reach it. Meanwhile I try to keep him from falling with my hands and his legs covered in slime as he wiggles and writhes. Hubby and I then read him 2 books. Up until a few nights ago, the second one is always “Sam Loves Kisses,” which ends with Mommy and Daddy giving Sam a "snuggly kiss" when he can't sleep. Then we nurse and I bring him out to the living room and dance with him to one or two songs. For as long as I can remember we have been dancing to The Innocence Mission. Lately he has added hugs and his very special kisses to our dance time. He’s also begun laying his head on my shoulder when he’s really sleepy. He’s a real boy! I then put him in his bed and he holds my hand until he falls asleep while I hum him a combination of the songs I have sung to him since his birth. This is the part I want to make sure I remember. And no, I do not think all of these songs are amazing or anything like that. Most of them were just all I could think of while trying to calm him down and they stuck.

My Repertoire:
Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Eternal Flame (The Bangles), The Rose, You’re the Inspiration (Chicago), Unchained Melody, Stand By Me, Yellow Submarine, Glory of Love, Carrie (Europe, that’s right, Europe), I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You (which Katharine slaughtered last night on American Idol), Everything I Do I Do It For You (Bryan Adams), Holy Holy Holy, What A Wonderful World, Tomorrow

After just one year some of these already make me feel nostalgic and remember when he was tiny, fussy, and needed to sleep right up against me (or on top of me – the hand holding is a HUGE improvement). I think back to what those crazy newborn days were like and I’m amazed at how much has happened. I thought I would never get the hang of this mom thing, yet here I am. We kept him alive for a year so I guess we’re ok so far. And I still love singing him to sleep, except for when it is the umpteenth time and it's 4:00am.

What are your favorite songs to sing to your children?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really adorable!! I love that you wrote it out so you could remember. You will love that later on!

11:59 PM  
Blogger kate said...

hi there!
thanks for visiting my blog yesterday (peeping moms). i'd like to link to your blog as well, if that's ok.

i LOVE that you love the innocence mission. they have LONG been a favorite of mine and my husband's and it's been really special to share it w/ our boy. it's so nice to find another fan!

9:53 AM  
Blogger kate said...

also--we love to dance to "tickle a tiger" by ralph colvert. it's not a lullaby, though, it's for goofy, silly dancing.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

I usually make up my own songs, usually to the tunes of other songs. His favorite one is the song about how his mommy and daddy love him to the tune of the yellow submarine!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

What tender moments! I love to do that with my kids too.

With Ant, we'd sing some church hymns and children's songs. I think the hymns were more for my comfort since he had colic. When he got into preschool, he would teach me the songs he learned there during our bedtime ritual.

Bud wasn't that interested in my singing. In fact he tells me to stop singing whenever I do it in the car. He'd rather fall asleep as he watches his dad play a video game at night.

Cutie and I now have a bedtime ritual of singing. I'm trying to cut down from 6-7 songs to 1-2, and tell her that she can sing the rest of them as she puts herself to sleep.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

By the way, someone replied to your comment on my blog and said she would like to participate in the 80s game. "If you build it, they will come." And if not, we'll have fun.

12:28 PM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey there... just wrote back to you via the comments under chocolate on my blog...

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! I love the bedtime rituals. The song I have sang to Jack since he was two days old is "The way you look tonight". I have no idea why I sang it that night, but now it is "the bedtime song" to Jack. We heard it on the radio while we were in a cafe and he looked at me and said, "No nigh nigh Mama!".

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sweet postings! You should check out this great indie mama forum. FYI: you have to be a registered user to see most of the discussions.

http://altdotlife.com/forum/

-an old friend ;)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

What a cute ritual you two have! I always sing a song I sort of made up to Cam each night as I take him to his bed. It's a special thing to cuddle with him and sing to him.

12:40 PM  
Blogger beth said...

Ok, Does anyone know if this anonymous comment is some sort of ad? An old friend? Register at this website? I don't think so. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I thought the word verification blocked stuff like that.

For the rest of you, thank you for your comments and details about bedtime at your house. I wish I remembered the songs I made up for Sam on the spot. I always forget them by the next day.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left the anonymous comment, I didn't want you to think I was stalking you from Friendster! Altdotlife.com evolved from IndieBride.com which I love since I'm wedding planning. A few of my friends with kids and some mommy bloggers post on Altdotlife.com and think it's a great community. Just thought you'd enjoy since you're doing the online mom thing. :)

Sorry for the confusion!

Kate B from Oberlin

5:11 PM  
Blogger beth said...

Kate/anonymous! I am so sorry. I was just very confused about the message and thought maybe it was one of those things I didn't know about since I just started this a month ago. I will certainly check out that website and thank you for the info. And Congrats on the wedding planning!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No prob! In retrospect I didn't sound like a creepy spammer!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap, I meant did, did sound like a creepy spammer. Maybe I should get a blogger account so I can edit my comments!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home